Through CAASE’s Pro Bono Project, private firm attorneys work on behalf of local survivors of sexual assault and sex trafficking in order to ensure that:
- Every survivor in Chicago has the quality legal counsel they want and need, particularly as they attempt to vindicate their civil rights.
- Survivors aren’t further victimized when they attempt to support criminal justice system efforts against rapists, pimps, and traffickers.
Our attorneys asses a clients’ legal needs and eligibility for services, link them with CAASE-trained pro bono attorneys, and provide ongoing support and mentorship to pro bono attorneys representing CAASE-referred clients.
The CAASE Pro Bono Project provides private attorneys with exceptional opportunities including:
- Trial and appellate practice utilizing the Illinois Civil No Contact Order Act
- Advocacy and representation with victims of sexual assault who seek justice in the context of the criminal justice system or in other administrative law venues, and according to the laws and regulations related to crime victim rights in Illinois.
CAASE clients fall into one of four categories (listed here most to least common):
- Victims wishing to see their rapist prosecuted who need legal representation as they interact with police and prosecutors; (these cases require between 12 and 18 hours of work, last from 2 to 12 months, and often require one lengthy meeting at a police station)
- Victims seeking protective orders via litigation under the Illinois Civil No Contact Order Act; (these cases require between 12 and 24 hours of work, include 2 to10 court appearances—mostly status hearings—and last from 3 to 10 months)
- Sexual assault survivors with legal needs related to their work, their housing, or their schooling; (Between 3 and 12 hours of work, over a 3 to 10 month period)
- Survivors of sex trafficking who are entitled to the vacation of prostitution related convictions under the Justice for Victims of Sex Trafficking Crimes Act. (Between 20 and 40 hours of work over a 6 to 15 month time period)
Our Pro Bono Project is a vital part of CAASE's Legal Program. It helps us serve more clients, provides high-quality representation to survivors, and connects attorneys with fulfilling volunteer opportunities.
If you are interested in getting involved with our Pro Bono Project, contact Rachel Johnson at email@example.com.